Monday, June 1st, 2020
picture
This afternoon, we were asked to assist Oceanport Fire Dept. at a house fire on Branchport Ave. Members responded with 4590 and 4585, and our primary mission was cutting holes in the roof to provide v...
Wednesday, April 8th, 2020
picture
This morning members responded to a call for a truck fire, a tractor trailer carrying mulch was stopped by the SPD with smoking coming from the trailer. Upon arrival units found a small fire in the mu...
Friday, December 6th, 2019
picture
Few weeks ago Eatontown Fire was alerted of a reported vehicle fire with possible extension. 1167 arrived on location confirming a vehicle fire with extension to the garage. A crew from Ladder 1192 ar...
picture
This evening, members responded to a fire at The Brandywine on Meridian Way. There was a fire in one of the dryers in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished by the sprinklers and our firefigh...
News
Spontaneous Combustion
Monday, June 17th, 2019

Happy Monday, neighbors! Recently the Shrewsbury Hose Company responded to a report of a fire at a house in town. It was originally dispatched as a “mulch fire in the landscape bed,” but when we got there we found a plastic garbage bag on fire. We determined that the flooring refinisher put the wood dust from the sander in a plastic garbage bag and then threw an empty can of mineral spirits in the bag as well. As the bag sat in the warm sun, the wood dust heated up enough to ignite and the ensuing fire spread to a shrub. Luckily a neighbor saw the smoke and reported the fire right away. However, had that bag been inside the garage or behind the house against a deck or other structure, there could have been a disaster.

According to a study by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), spontaneous combustion causes around 14,070 fires in the United States each year. Oil-soaked rags are listed among the most common items first ignited to cause the fire, constituting 35% of the items first ignited to cause these destructive fires.

Combustion happens when a material reacts with oxygen and gives off heat. A spark or flame can ignite explosively, i.e., spontaneously, when introduced to an area where certain vapors or fine powders are mixed with air in a certain concentration. Wood floor finishes often have low flash points, which makes them prone to igniting spontaneously.

Sawdust is a material that is prone to spontaneous combustion, and the risk of spontaneous combustion from sawdust increases when doing refinishing work due to the presence of finish and possibly other volatile solvents in the sawdust.

Some risk factors for spontaneous combustion include:

• Oil-based products such as floor finish, sealer, primer, paint shellac, linseed oil, paint thinner, turpentine, mineral spirits and denatured alcohol
• Any wiping cloth, rag, towel, drop cloth, steel wool or piece of work clothing that has come into contact with a solvent-based material. 100% cotton rags are particularly prone to spontaneous combustion
• Warm environments
• Sawdust

How can you prevent these incidents from happening? Here are some tips:

• Safe disposal of your rags and other things that have come into contact with solvent-based products is key. DO NOT simply toss your used rags into a trash can or plastic bucket.
• Spread out your rags to dry so that they can release heat without as much of a risk of catching on fire. The key here is to make sure there is space in between them, so spreading them out is a must––do not ball them up. The finish must be completely cured before final disposal of the rags. Spraying them with water once the solvents on the rags are cured can be taken as an extra, precautionary step before final disposal.
• One of the safest methods of disposing of oil-soaked or solvent-soaked rags is to cover them with water in a closed metal container. You will have to find some way to dispose of the water properly since it will be contaminated, but this is among the safest methods of preventing spontaneous combustion of soaked rags.
• Keep a fire extinguisher handy in case something spontaneously combusts and you catch it in time to put out the fire.
• Ensure that you or your contractor are disposing of construction waste and debris properly and safely.

Please be safe, and know that we're here if you need us.

Spontaneous Combustion
Spontaneous Combustion
Spontaneous Combustion
Spontaneous Combustion
×picture
64 entries in the News
Wednesday, March 16th, 2022
picture
Hey neighbors! We did some training last evening using a door prop to practice forcing our way into a house of business in an emergency. Thankfully, this is a skill we don't use that often, so it's good to strengthen our skills.
Monday, April 12th, 2021
picture
Thank you to our local dispatchers and all those who serve.
Monday, April 20th, 2020
picture
Thank You to The Shadowbrook Restaurant for recognizing and always supporting Shrewsbury's First Responders.
Monday, April 20th, 2020
picture
A big Thanks to Laird and Company in Colts Neck for their generous donation of hand sanitizer for our members. We appreciate your gesture and efforts.
Friday, April 17th, 2020
picture
This afternoon, members of Shrewsbury Hose Company were honored to join members of the Shrewsbury Police Department and Shrewsbury First Aid Squad in thanking the health care workers at the Meridian Rehabilitation Facility for their hard work and superhero efforts! We honor and salute your dedicatio...
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
picture
The Marine Mammal Stranding Center and the Shrewsbury Hose Co. #1 participated in the following rescue: Unusual rescue in Shrewsbury! How this adult male harp seal ended up in a duck pond is somewhat of a mystery.
picture
Congratulations are in order to our partners in the Shrewsbury First Aid Squad! They celebrated their 55th Annual Awards Event over the weekend. We extend our heartfelt appreciation and congratulations to all of those honored!The Shrewsbury Hose Company and Shrewsbury First Aid Squad are always look...
Monday, January 27th, 2020
picture
Please be safe and stay off any icy bodies of water. Thanks to our brothers from the Fair Haven Fire Dept. For the flyer.
Saturday, January 11th, 2020
picture
The Shrewsbury Hose Company #1 held their annual Awards Banquet on Saturday evening at Buona Sera in Red Bank. Joining us at our Banquet this year were guests from surrounding Fire Companies, our Chief of Police Robert Turner, and Shrewsbury Council Members Kim Eulner and Jason Sena.
Thursday, January 9th, 2020
picture
Thank You to all our Brothers in Blue
Sunday, December 29th, 2019
picture
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas created by many home appliances that use natural gas, gasoline, or oil. Every Winter you'll hear a tragic story about CO poisoning. The best way to prevent these tragedies is to install CO Detectors in your home and get your appliances checked annually.
Saturday, December 28th, 2019
picture
Today, we join with other NJ residents and mourn the death of SFC Michael J. Goble, who was from Washington Twp (Bergen County). May his memory be eternal and his sacrifice never forgotten.
Saturday, December 7th, 2019
picture
The members of Shrewsbury Hose Company #1 today honor the memory of those who served and who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. We must never forget their sacrifice and service.
Wednesday, December 4th, 2019
picture
Good morning neighbors! Take a look at this! The floors in the Engine Bays and in our Meeting Room have needed some TLC for a while. They take a lot of abuse and really came to the end of their useful life.
Friday, October 4th, 2019
https://www.facebook.com/events/2149970098447458/?ti=icl
Thursday, July 25th, 2019
picture
Members of the Shrewsbury Hose Company participated in the Monmouth County Fairs Firefighters Competition taking first place overall.
Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019
picture
Good morning neighbors! The Ladies Auxiliary of the Shrewsbury Hose Co. #1 is launching their annual Bicycle Safety Program today. If one of the Shrewsbury Police Officers or the Fire Chief sees a child riding their bicycle safely and wearing a helmet, the child will be given a coupon for a free Kid...
Monday, June 17th, 2019
picture
Happy Monday, neighbors! Recently the Shrewsbury Hose Company responded to a report of a fire at a house in town. It was originally dispatched as a “mulch fire in the landscape bed,” but when we got there we found a plastic garbage bag on fire.
Thursday, June 6th, 2019
picture
This afternoon, we picked up cases of bottled water at IMA Urgent Care in the Shrewsbury Plaza. We truly appreciate the generosity of our businesses and our neighbors! Please be safe, and know that we're here (and well-hydrated) if you need us.
Monday, May 20th, 2019
picture
Good Morning neighbors! Last evening, members of Shrewsbury Hose Co. #1 attended the grand opening of Chelsea at Shrewsbury, a brand new senior living facility at the corner of Shrewsbury and Patterson Ave.
64 entries in the News

© 2022 Shrewsbury Hose Co. No. 1